I’m heading in a different direction today on A Friend Afar. I’ve been sharing all of my stories from France lately, but today I’d like to share with you one of the ways I stay inspired by travel when I’m at home. In addition to framed photographs from our trips and souvenirs like textiles and ceramics, we have a few vintage suitcases in our home. Our suitcases are stacked on a vintage luggage rack and serve as a nightstand in our bedroom.Vintage suitcases are easy to find at antique and thrift stores and are often very affordable. I always love finding ones with monograms, stickers of locations, and old airline luggage tags! I like to imagine where they went and what air, train, and ship travel was like back then! Suitcases are a great choice for vintage and global DIY furniture because you really can’t go wrong! Just stack them high or low for side tables or even just for displaying vignettes. They also serve as hidden storage, so for smaller homes or apartments, they are the perfect choice! I’ve gathered some of my favorite ideas below. Here are a few more of my favorite ideas for displaying vintage suitcases around your home.
Do you have any suitcases that you use for storage and decoration? Tell me about them in the comments!
1. I love the plant sitting on top of these beautiful suitcases. [Source: Eye for Design]
2. See how easy it is to make a side table with storage? [Source: Globally Gorgeous]
3. Potted succulents and old books are displayed in these pretty suitcases. [Source: Apartment Therapy]
4. You can even paint your suitcase for a fun and quirky piece of furniture. [Source: Apartment Therapy]
5. What a lucky find these Louis Vuitton suitcases were! [Source: Victoria Pearson via Apartment Therapy]